At the heart of Growing Roots are our Farmers Markets. Building on our commitment to local farms and local food, we created the Good Food Fest and Good Farms Good Food.
The building that is home to Twelves Grill and Cafe was built in 1883 and served the Borough of West Grove for many years. The building has a rich history, and in 2008 the building was remodeled and Twelves Grill & Cafe was born.
Twelves continues to be an amazing part of the West Grove Borough, and the Mellon family loves the history of the old building and will continue to add to its story. We currently seat for lunch, brunch, and dinner along with hosting private parties and special theme dinner nights. The Mellon family has many exciting plans for the future here in West Grove.
The private room is available for special events, business meetings, holiday parties, and more.
The Creation of the Cheesesteak
Pat’s King of Steaks® was founded by Pat Olivieri in 1930. Pat had a modest hot-dog stand at the base of the famous Italian Market in South Philadelphia.
One day he decided to have something quite different for lunch, so he sent for some chopped meat from the butcher shop. He cooked the meat on his hot dog grill, placed the meat onto an Italian roll, and dressed it with some onions. Just as he went to take a bite, a cab driver who ate a hot dog every day asked what he had there. Pat said that it was his lunch. The cabbie insisted that Pat make him one.
“Hey…..forget ’bout those hot dogs, you should sell these.” The steak sandwich was born. As the years passed, both employees and customers alike demanded change…cheese was added.
Since then, the cheesesteak sandwich has become synonymous with the Philly Cheesesteak. And we’re proud to be the reason for it. Nearly 90 years later, Pat’s is still owned and operated by the Olivieri family at our only location in South Philadelphia. Stop by the next time you’re in the neighborhood to enjoy an original, classic cheesesteak.